The Orono ski program is open to kids who live in any town or school district. It is not affiliated with any school or town, just PVSC. The program is for kids in grades 4-8, and will meet several days per week. No cross-country skiing experience is necessary, and all skiers will have race opportunities.
Cross-country ski leasing for kids in grade 8 and younger is available through the Outdoor Sport Institute (formerly Maine Winter Sports Center). The ski lease program provides xc skis, boots, poles, and a ski bag for the entire season for $65. Check with your local Parks and Recreation office (Orono, Bangor, Old Town) to find out details of the ski rental program. Typically, orders are collected in mid-November.
For more information, please contact Bob Bass (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Penobscot Valley Ski Club will again conduct a youth Nordic ski development group on the Reeds Brook Trails in Hampden for all area students in grades 5 thru 8. Personal transportation is required to/from RB Trails.
- Have fun Nordic skiing!
- Enjoy the snow and fresh air!
- Get some healthy outdoor winter exercise!
- Improve Nordic ski techniques – both classic and skate.
- Possible weekend recreational group trips based on interest and snow conditions.
- Available weekend Youth Nordic Races for interested skiers on an individual skier/family basis.
- Own or rent Nordic ski equipment (required): $65/season for rental equipment (skis, boots & poles) thru OSI Healthy Hometowns Program (available to grade 8 and under). Equipment fitting & pick up coordinated thru local Parks & Rec Program. Check with your Rec Program for fitting dates & times. In Hampden there will be a ski lease fit night - date TBA.
- Current Membership in Penobscot Valley Ski Club (required): $28 per individual or $40 per family. Join here!
More information will be available on this program soon!
Contact Peter Buzzini (email@example.com or 318-3772) for more information.
Nordic programs offered by PVSC (in Orono and Hampden) are open to all skiers regardless of residence.
Learn-to-ski programs have been previously offered through the Old Town and Bangor Parks & Rec. Departments. Contact them for more information. Old Town Rec: 207-827-3961; Bangor Parks and Rec: 207-992-4490